Hammerica

Returning to America after four years in Europe

Sunday, May 21, 2006

1 Year + 1 Day

One year ago today, I was starting my first full day back in the U.S. It was a horribly uncertain period - I was back in my dad's house, with no job and little money. I had no idea what I was going to do next or how I was going to start a whole new life. Had I made the right decision to throw away my life in Holland with only my gut telling me that it was right thing to do, however painful.

If I would have been able to see today, a mere year later, I wouldn't have worried a bit. I have a great job with fanastic, if sometimes slightly crazy, colleagues. I have re-connected with old friends and made a few new ones. I have made a comfortable home in the most gorgeous apartment I've ever lived in. And I met a man who is easily the best boyfriend in the world.

I am, for the most part, re-adjusted to life in the U.S. but still often miss Europe and my friends there. But the near-constant existential crisis is gone. I have found my home, and my peace. Who would have ever guessed that I would have to go on such a roundabout - albeit extraordinary - journey only to end up where I started?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home